Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin, alongside members of the Charleston Regatta Commission, announced the 2022 Charleston Sternwheel Regatta schedule during a press conference at Haddad Riverfront Park on Thursday. Regatta will take place June 30 – July 4, 2022. The schedule brings a mix of nostalgic favorites and brand-new events.
“The public support for the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta has been overwhelming. Folks throughout the region, and some that have traveled in for Regatta’s past, have been asking for this event to come back since the day I took office,” said Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin. “The programming for this year represents a great balance of old favorites and new, soon-to-be favorites.”
“Charleston Regatta, Inc. has been working diligently to put together an event that will not only bring lots of fun and excitement to our city but will also bring a significant economic impact,” said Alisa Bailey, President of Charleston Regatta, Inc. “We anticipate thousands upon thousands of event attendees and millions of dollars in tourism spending in Charleston.”
Major entertainment will be available throughout the event including:
- Thursday Night – Everclear with opening acts Fastball and The Nixons
- Friday Night – The Four Tops & The Temptations with opening act The Unit
- Saturday Night – Martina McBride with opening act Chucky Ray Lilly with The Grip
- Sunday Brunch – Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. & Bob Thompson
- Sunday Night – Rick Springfield with opening act Hair Supply
- Monday Night – West Virginia Symphony Orchestra
Major events taking place throughout the event include:
- Wheelwash Craft Beer Festival – Thursday at 5 p.m.
- Battle of the Bands – Friday at 1 p.m.
- Firecracker 5K (presented with the Childhood Language Center) – Saturday at 8 a.m.
- Motorcycle Show (presented with Biker Mafia) – Saturday at 10 a.m.
- “All Fired Up” Youth BBQ Challenge (presented with Capitol Market) – Saturday at 11 a.m.
- BMX/Skate Exhibition – Saturday & Sunday at 11 a.m.
- Anything that Floats Race (presented with United Way of Central WV) – Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Weiner Dog Races (presented with Fix’Em Clinic & KCHA) – Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Funeral Parade – Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Youth Anything that Floats Race – Sunday at 10 a.m.
- Car Show (presented with Hot Diggity Dog) – Sunday at 10 a.m.
- Sternwheel Boat Races – Sunday at 1 p.m.
Throughout the Regatta, events will be available for youth including:
- Kid’s zone filled with inflatables, art projects, games, face painting, and more
- Fan-favorite carnival returns for all five days of the Regatta
- 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament will take place Thursday, Friday & Saturday
- Educational opportunities, courtesy of the Sewell Mountain Sailing Association & Kanawha County Public Library
- Regatta Movie Night will take place Friday night
For a full schedule of events, visit the Charleston Sternwheel Regatta Facebook page (facebook.com/charlestonsternwheelregatta) or download the Charleston Convention & Visitors Bureau App (Visit Charleston WV) from the Google Play or App Store.